During the WARO heydays, the primary venison market was in Korea. Helicopter pilot and owner of Alpine Helicopters, Sir Tim Wallis, worked to expand the venison market, publishing this Korean bulgogi recipe to promote venison consumption both here and abroad in 1982.
- 450g venison with sinew removed
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp sesame salt (1:2 salt to toasted sesame seed ratio, pulverized)
- 4 green spring onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 Tbsp white wine
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Cut venison into thin strips across the grain.
- Combine all ingredients and marinate meat in this for at least two hours. (I marinate overnight about 24hrs).
- Grill on hot barbeque plate or frying pan.
This recipe appeared in A Cut Above – Whole Animal Butchery – Part 1